Built in 1864, the Midland station in Tewkesbury was actually the second station constructed in the town, replacing the 1840 stop built by the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway. It lay at the northern side of Station Lane, to the west of a junction with the Tewkesbury Quay branch line, a small spur which connected the Malvern-Aschurch railway with the landing stage and docks at the junction of the Avon and Severn Rivers.
Today, little is left of the old railway, although some of its bridges do remain standing. Additionally, the path of the old line is very noticeable in the way that it still separates the houses north of Tewkesbury marina from the rest of the town.
These pictures from Britain From Above show the old gas works which sat alongside the railway embankment as it crossed Bredon Road. The top of High Street is also visible, as is the countryside north of the town.
Back on the ground, these photos show the railway line in Tewkesbury in great detail, including the station itself from both the forecourt and platforms.
|Tewkesbury Station, 10th July, 1959.|
|'Tewkesbury, 58071 with 8.35 from Ashchurch' 1st May, 1956.|
|'Tewkesbury, 43337 with 6.20 from Ashchurch. Coach 20444' 1oth July, 1959.|
|'Tewkesbury, 46401 with 8.53 to Ashchurch', 24th April, 1958.|